Club Meetings

NOTE: As of July 10, 2018 Club Meeting are being held on the second Tuesday of each month at 7PM. The new location for the meetings is at Commuter Craft, 63 Industrial Drive, Cartersville, GA 30120

Club meetings are held at the field on the second Saturday of every month at 1:00PM


Taildraggers Meeting Minutes 2/12/2019

The meeting was called to order by Gene Maurice, President, at 7:00PM

Attendees: Gene Maurice, Peter Oparnica, Harvey Burnes, Richard Hogan and Gary Hammett

The Treasurer, Peter Oparnica, reported a Bank Balance of $5,087.70 as of the meeting date. The Treasurers report was accepted.

Gene Maurice reported that the current membership stands at 32 General Members and 3 Junior Members. As of the meeting 17 members have paid their 2019-2020 dues. I would urge all of our members to renew their membership as soon as possible. It is critical for the Board to know exactly how much will be available in the coming year for field improvements and maintenance.

New Business:
The current years AMA Charter renewal has been received and is being processed. In the past we have had an Insurance Endorsement issued to Dr. Atwell to indemnify him against any potential liability. With the implementation of the N-S runway we now occupy and overfly a portion of Dr. Daniel’s property.  Therefore with this year’s charter renewal we will add an Endorsement to cover Dr. Daniel in addition to Dr. Atwell.

There were no nominations presented at the meeting. The following is the list of nominees:
President:                                Peter Oparnica
Vice President:                          Harvey Burnes
Treasurer:                                Gary Hammett
                                                          Gene Maurice
Secretary:                                        Ron Adams
Field Safety Officer:                  Jeff Rugon

The Secretary, Rick Harris, will prepare the ballot to be emailed to the membership.

As a result of the survey of the members and a subsequent Board meeting it is being proposed that we change the frequency of the Club General Meeting. As stated in the current ByLaws, “General Membership Meetings of the organization shall be held at 7pm on the second Tuesday of each month at a location to be determined by the Board”. The results of the survey indicated a majority of the members preferred to reduce the frequency of our meeting. There was also a strong preference to the meetings back at the field on a Saturday.  
The Board is proposing the following change to the by-laws:
Section 7.02 General Membership Meetings

  1. General Membership Meetings of the organization shall be held at 1pm on the second Saturday of April, July, and October at the Club field in Euharlee, GA. In addition there will be a Meeting on the second Tuesday of February at 7:00PM at location to be determined by the Board. In the event the meeting cannot be held at the stated time, the board shall designate a substitute day or cancel the meeting. Notice shall be sent via email on the board’s decision. It shall be the responsibility of the Secretary to notify all members via email. Alcoholic beverages, controlled substances shall not be allowed at any meeting of the organization.

This proposal requires approval by the membership. Please respond to Secretary Rick Harris with a Yea or Nay to this proposal.

The Board, specifically Peter Oparnica, has been in contact with Dr. Atwell concerning the recent presence of the Para Glider group at the flying field. The following is Peter’s email to Dr. Atwell:

Hi Ed, It's Peter,
Need to inform you about some serious safety issues at the flying field. Over the last few months we have had para sailers sharing the field with us. At first, we worked out an arrangement with them, on how we could share air space, to avoid any mid air collisions between airplanes, and human beings.
They were fine with that, and we enjoyed them being there.
However, over the last couple months they have ignored us, and parked vehicles on the runway, then proceeded to take off into airspace where RC pilots were flying! The last time this happened we had 15 pilots, and family flying.
I went out, and spoke with them on four different occasions, and they agreed with me, and then did whatever they felt like. We had no other option, but to pack up, and go home. Some of our members drove over an hour just to fly, but instead packed their cars, and left.
As I said we love having them join us, but they are going to have to be more safety minded. I spoke to Kim Arrowood, and she doesn't know who they are, or I would not have bothered you. I left a call for Dr. Daniels, but he hasn't returned it.
We don't know if it was you, or he who invited them. If you know anything about them, I would appreciate a contact number, where we could speak, and address this safety issue to them.
Sorry to bother you, but this is important.

Dr. Atwell has responded that he is in full support of us and will address the issue. In addition, he has given us a contact within the Para Glider group and we will make every effort to set up a meeting with them to come to a firm agreement.

In the meantime, if there is a Para Glider in the air ANYWHERE in the vicinity of the airspace we use, DO NOT FLY. If they are operating near the south end of the N-S runway use the E-W runway. If they are airborne use a spotter. But at no time should a RC aircraft fly in the vicinity of, or otherwise jeopardize a manned aircraft. Item two from the AMA safety code states:
I will not interfere with and will yield the right of way to all human-carrying aircraft using AMA’s See and Avoid Guidance and a spotter when appropriate.
Per the AMA’s insurance department, one of the caveats of the insurance coverage is that for an AMA member to be covered they must be in compliance with the AMA Safety Code. There is a risk that if we fly in the vicinity of a manned aircraft we would be in violation of the Safety Code and therefore the AMA insurance would not cover an incident.  I have attached the “AMA Safety Handbook” and “AMA See and Avoid” documents for your information. Please review these documents.

It was noted that over the past couple of months when the weather has been particularly nice there has been a significant number of folks at the field. This prompted some discussion about the need to implement specific Field Rules related to Parking, Flight Line usage, and collision avoidance. This issue is being left to the new Board installed after the elections to resolve for the coming year.

In Peter’s correspondence with Dr. Atwell he has indicated that he would be agreeable to certain improvement to the flying site including smoothing of the runways and construction of permanent structure. He reserves the right to review and approve any proposed changes to the property.  Any changes must include detailed description of the changes for his review.

Vice President, Harvey Burnes is developing a plan to improve the runways. The following is a brief out of the activities he is planning.

  1. Sometime after the 1st of March plug aerate and wait for it to rain.
  2. Around mid-March aerate again and then roll with a 25,000 pound 10’ roller
  3. In April aerate again, top dress with clean soil and over seeded with Bermuda

Costs are being gathered and a final plan will be prepared and presented to the membership as soon as possible.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:10PM.


Taildraggers Meeting Minutes 11/13/2018

Monthly Meeting Minutes


Date:                                                                                    November 13, 2018
Time:                                                                                   7:00pm
Location:                                                                           Commuter Craft – Cartersville, GA
Meeting Called to Order by:                  Gene Maurice

Gene Maurice                  Harvey  Burns
Rick Harris                                        Peter Oparnica
Gary Hammett                               Ron Adams

Terry Wallace

Financial Report
Current Balance $4,182.75
Checks (4) $411.12 (primarily for Open House expense)
Deposit(s)  $54.00 (Landing fees)

General Items
Main discussion was on how to energize the membership in order to enhance our flying experience as well as increase Club Meeting attendance.  A number of suggestions were made and it was determined that a survey to the membership would be best way to determine.  A survey will be developed and submitted to the club members. 

Old Business
None to discuss

New Business / Action Items
Gary Hammett suggested setup a Facebook page for the club to provide members with an easy way to communicate, keep in touch and announce upcoming events.
Club Survey – develop format and questions.  Research Google Survey to administer. 

Meeting adjourned: 7:40pm



Taildraggers Meeting Minutes 8/14/2018

Monthly Meeting Minutes


Date:                                                                                    August 14, 2018
Time:                                                                                   7:00pm
Location:                                                                           Commuter Craft – Cartersville, GA
Meeting Called to Order by:                  Gene Maurice

Gene Maurice                  Jeffery Rugon                 Gary Riddle
Gary Hammett                               Harvey Burns                   Steve Ward

Rick Harris                                        Bryan Schnitterbaum Peter Oparnica


Financial Report

Current Balance $5,030.00 (estimated as financial report was not available)
Debits: (2) $194.00 (Diesel fuel and Signage)

General Items

Correction to membership status – 28 General Members and 3 Junior Members for a total of 31.  (Required quorum is 7 General Members).

Old Business

  • New club sings were installed at entrance. 


  • Service work on lawn mower has been completed and is ready for pick up.  The good news is we are still able to use loaner mower that Harvey Burns has made available to us.  

New Business

  • Jeffrey Rugon had proposed an Open House Fly-In at previous meeting.  He presented an illustration (see attached) for an October 6th event, which was voted on and approved.  More details to follow, but an event like this will need volunteers to help make it a success.  Please contact Jeffery or Rick so we can begin developing a list. 
  • Gene proposed that the club file for 501C3 status in order to better position our club to receive donations.  A vote was taken not to proceed with this endeavor at the current time. 
  • Previously, it was suggested that the club re-rock the driveway entrance at the gate due to erosion and to insure goodwill with the property owner.  The cost will be $600.  A vote was taken and approved.
  • A suggestion was made that the club could use a weed-eater and a blower.  Gary Riddle offered to donate the weed-eater and Rick Harris offered the blower to spare club expense. 


The meeting concluded with Peter displaying a number of items for sale.  He also gave Gary Riddle a new Decathlon which Gary was excited to receive. 

Meeting adjourned: 8:05pm


Taildraggers Meeting Minutes 7/10/2018

Monthly General Meeting Minutes


Date:                                                                    July 10, 2018
Time:                                                                   7:00 p.m.                                                                              
Location:                                                            Commuter Craft - Cartersville, GA
Meeting Called to Order by:     Gene Maurice

Gene Maurice                                   Jeffery Rugon                   Gary Riddle
Peter Oparnica                                Gary Hammett  Harvey Burnes                 
Richard Hogan                                 Kim Arrowood                  Rick Harris         


Financial Report                                                                             Presenter: Peter Oparnica

Current Balance $5,281.75
Credits: (1) $100.00
Debits: (2) $29.18 Total

General Items:                                                                                Presenter: Gene Maurice

Membership Status – Currently there are 31 members (3 hold Junior status)
AMA Membership Renewal: All members current

Old Business

Club sign: Peter O. reported sign cost is expected to run less than $300, however, unsure of date as he has been unable to reach sign company. 
Action Items: (Peter O. to be clarified by Aug 14)

  • Will update via email or at next meeting
  • A member has offered to remove and dispose old sign

Bylaw change – Meeting date
Bylaws were changed regarding new date of our monthly meeting.  Update were made and posted on website. 

  • Trial period for new date will be in place for 6 month to determine effeteness in attracting higher attendance

Lawn mower – discussed ideas for replacing current lawn mower at some point in the future.  Harvey Burnes has secured a loaner that should remain available throughout the cutting season this year.  He is also keeping an eye out for a good deal on a used mower for future.  It was discussed that once found, there could be a request from the members to help support the purchase of a mower. 
Jeffery R. took a leadership role in offering $100 toward the fund. 

General Discussion Topics: 

Gene M. suggested a possible need to amend the Bylaws to include an Assessment for special projects, i.e., replacement lawn mower.
It was agreed that a voluntary needs request would be attempted before changing Bylaws.

Jeffery R. recommended that a diagonal cut to the new runway be made to provide a better approach and Peter O. stated he had already begun when cutting grass.

Future Club Meetings – Peter O. and Gene M. suggested that a “show and tell” be included in our future monthly meetings.  Examples: Building clinic, disassembly of servos for cleaning, etc.  This suggestion was met with enthusiasm. 

New Business

Volunteers (2) needed to paint the outhouse as it is beginning to look faded and needs to be freshened up.  Contact Peter O. for details and scheduling. 

Volunteers (2) needed to help lift the reel mower attachment so that the blades can be adjusted.  Contact Peter O. for details and scheduling

Entry Keypad for entrance gate.  Gary H. has agreed to research cost to implement a keypad entry for our main gate. 
Action Item:

  • Proposal to be submitted by next meeting – Aug 14

Special Event Plan

Jeffery R. has agreed to develop a proposal for holding a special club event.
Action Item: 

  • Proposal of type and details of event
  • Set date of event in September time frame

Special Thanks:
A very special thanks goes to Richard Hogan for offering his facility at Commuter Craft to hold our monthly meetings.  It worked really well and will prove valuable as our attendance grows and being able to include things like Show & Tell.  If you have not had an opportunity to visit the website, I encourage you to do so – very exciting!  Richard and his crew will be showing this marvelous aircraft at the upcoming EAA AirVenture show in Oshkosh, WI in mid July. 
Best of Luck Richard!

Meeting was adjourned – 7:55pm



Taildraggers Meeting Minutes 6/9/2018

The meeting was called to order by Gene Maurice, President at 1:30PM

Gene Maurice, Peter Oparnica, Harvey Burnes, Jeffery Rugon, Don Rainey, Joe Campos, Carey Nation, Julian Aughton, Steve Ward, Gary Riddle, Mike Bond, Richard Hogan and Junior Members: Andrew Nation, Simon Nation

A motion was made and seconded to accept the minutes of the last meeting. The motion was approved.

The Treasurer, Peter Oparnica reported a Bank Balance of $5,233.90. Peter also reported that there is a +$100 out of balance condition between the Treasures records and the bank statement. He is working to reconcile this difference and will report to the Board when the difference is discovered. The Treasurers report was accepted. See the attached Bank Statement.

Gene Maurice reported that the current membership stands at 27 General Members and 3 Junior Members. The current years AMA Charter has been received and the Club Roster, Member Status and all other documentation with the AMA is up to date.

Old Business:
At the last meeting, there was a motion to approve an expenditure of up to $500 to acquire and install new signage for the entry to the field. This was approved by an email vote by the membership. This work is in progress and will be reported on by Peter and Harvey at the next meeting,

New Business:
There was a discussion opened by Peter to change the date and time of the Club General Meeting. As stated in the ByLaws, “General Membership Meetings of the organization shall be held at 1pm on the second Saturday of each month at the flying field.” A motion was made by Mike Bond and seconded by Jeffery Rugon to modify the ByLaws in regards to the date, time and place of the General Meeting. The motion passed with a unanimous vote.

This discussion continued focusing on arriving at a new time and place for the meeting.  There was a motion presented by Jeffery Rugon and seconded by Mike Bond that the Bylaws be further modified to change the monthly General Meeting to the second Tuesday of every month at 7PM. Until further notice, the new location for the meeting will be at Richard Hogan’s place of business:
Commuter Craft
63 Industrial Drive
Cartersville, GA 30120   
The vote was placed with the membership and passed with 10 Yeas, 1 Nay and 1 Abstention.
The next Club meeting will be Tuesday July 10, 2018 at 7PM at the Commuter Craft facilities. See the attached map to Commuter Craft.
It was also noted that this decision will be reviewed periodically to ascertain if the timing of the meeting best suits the overall membership. The following shows the modification to the ByLaws:
Section 7.02 General Membership Meetings

  1. General Membership Meetings of the organization shall be held at 7pm on the second

Tuesday of each month at a location to be determined by the Board. In the event the meeting cannot be held at the stated time, the board shall designate a substitute day or cancel the meeting. Notice shall be sent via email on the board’s decision. It shall be the responsibility of the Secretary to notify all members via email. Alcoholic beverages, controlled substances shall not be allowed at any meeting of the organization.

Click here to review the updated ByLaws.

Though there was no motion presented, there was discussion regarding the state of repair, or lack thereof, of the mowing equipment. The current large mower (Husqvarna) is somewhere around or near 20 years old and though it runs OK there is a concern that it will fail beyond repair without warning. VP Harvey Burnes is on the lookout for a quality used piece of equipment that will serve our purposes.  This search will continue and when an opportunity arises it will be presented to the membership.

The Secretary’s position has been open for a couple of months now. Per the Bylaws, the vacancy of a Board position is filled by appointment by the President. Rick Harris, current Field Safety Officer has agreed to accept the position of Secretary for the remainder of the term. Jeffery Rugon has agreed to fill the now open Field Safety Officer for the remainder of that term. I would like to give my personal thanks to these gentlemen for stepping up in support of the club.

Meeting was adjourned at 2:30PM.

Taildraggers Meeting Minutes 2/10/2018

Members Present:
Ron Adams
Pete Oparnica
Terry Wallace
Harvey Burns
Jeff Rugon
Gary Riddle
Kim Arrowood

Topic 1: 
Accept meeting minutes from previous meeting

Topic 2:
Nominations to keep the current officers, all present voted yes. No other nominations. So without opposition, current officers will remain for 2018 club year.

Topic 3:
Club Account Balance: $4015.81

Topic 4:
Club members voted to get a service for weed treatment. Harvey will get quotes and we will review at the March meeting. Dr. Atwell requested we take care grounds in front of hanger.

Topic 5: Discussed Club Fly-in with hamburgers and hot dogs during the month of May. Discuss details at March meeting.

Topic 6:
Jeff suggest a Cub build and fly later in the year. All members would build or bring their cub for a Saturday of fun.

Topic 7: 
Jeff had a show and tell of work he is doing on a p-47 and the work he is doing for his sliding canopy. Suggest we do one show and tell each month at the monthly meeting. Club members please bring and plane and discuss any topic for the club.

Pete made mention of special thanks to Gene our president for all the effort he has put in over the last year to get things done with the website and club organization. Big thank you to Gene!

Next Club Meeting will be March 10th at 1pm. See you at the field.

Reminder get your dues to Pete by the next meeting. They are due March 15th.

Ron Adams
Taildraggers R/C

January Meeting 01/13/2018


7 Club Members Present: Gene Maurice, Pete Oparnica, Larry Luke, Ron Adams, Gary and Gavyn Liepold, Harvey Burns.
Motion to accept updated bypass Passed. No dissenters at the meeting

Topic 1:
Bylaw changes were shared with membership

Topic 2:
Dr. Bob Sargent (Department Natural Resources) had contacted Gene about a nearby eagle’s nest. After research of location, it was determined that the nesting area was far away from the runway and would not be a concern. More than 4000ft.
Topic 3:
Moving Equipment Shed to near the hanger. Pete had mentioned this was ok, and Harvey mentioned this might be done in March timing.

Topic 4:
Larry to install close pin system to be used if you are flying on 72mhz. Get a pin each time you fly for your frequency and return it after flight. 2.4Ghz guys no worries.

Since the meeting, we have several new members. Welcome! We are glad to have more people who can enjoy flying R/C airplanes at this nice wide open field!
5 new members: Richard Hogan, Kim Arrowood, John Young, Rick Harrison, Ronnie McWilliams

Look forward to seeing you at the field. Next meeting : Saturday , February 10th at 1PM.
Officer Nominations, so please show up with your nominations. Officer Elections in March.

Club Treasury reported Balance of $3815.81. No expenses in the previous month.

December Meeting 12/09/2017

Due to the inclement weather and poor road conditions on 12/09/2017, the meeting scheduled for that day had been cancelled.

November Meeting 11/11/2017

The monthly club meeting scheduled for Saturday, Novenber 11,2017 at 1:00PM at the field has been cancelled.
This was decided because a number of board members are unable to attend due to other commitments. A poll of the board indicated  no new items to discuss. If anyone has any questions or issues to bring up please let me know.

September Meeting 09/09/2017

Meeting was called to order by President Gene Maurice at 1:15PM on September 9, 2017. There were 5 members present:
Gene Maurice
Larry Luke
Pete Oparnica
Gary Riddle
Mark Hopkins

The minutes of the previous meeting as published on the club web site was accepted and approved.
Treasurer’s report was not available at the time of the meeting but it was stated that there was no activity in the month of August. The subsequently prepared report is as follows:

Old Business
It was proposed that the equipment shed be moved from its current location behind the far hangar to alongside the hangar behind the flight line. The property owner has agreed to this move. This is being delayed pending the outcome of the possibility of creating a second runway which was discussed later in the meeting.

New Business
Ron Adams’ parents in Nashville, TN experienced a devastating fire at their home which resulted in a total loss of the property. In addition, Ron’s father was severely injured in the fire and required surgery last Friday for 3rd and 4th degree burns. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Ron and his family.

Mark Hopkins reported that the Big Sky R/C Club in Menlo, GA. (NW of Rome) has experienced an issue similar to GMA’s issue of losing the field due to neighbor complaints. They hope to have solved the problem by reversing the direction of over flight to avoid the offended neighbor.

Peter stated that that there is a possibility that the property owner, Dr. Atwell, may allow us to create a second runway that would run NE to SW from the end of the current runway to somewhere near the eastern end of the full scale runway. This action will require further detailed investigation before any proposal can be made to the membership.

Three members of the Georgia Model Aviators (GMA), Chris Meeks, Chris Kennedy, and John Singer, joined us at the field for some flying and conversation on how we might pursue attracting some of their members to join Taildraggers due to the loss of the GMA field. We had some great discussions and left the next step to be planning an Open House/ Fly-In Event to showcase what we may have to offer these folks. They will pursue this with their membership and get back to us soon.    

The Meeting was adjourned at 2:00PM
Gene Maurice

August Meeting 08/12/2017

Members Present:
Gene Maurice
Pete Oparnica
Harvey Burns
Garry Riddle
Quick meeting this month.
Club decided against purchase of weed eater. Will use weed killer for the time being.
Still some interest from GMA members joining. A meeting was to take place at the club August 19th with
GMA members.
Pete was to discuss moving the mower shed closer to the airstrip. Review was needed with owner.
Bob Brogdon , AMA District 5 VP, visited, considering to become member.
Thanks to Pete and members for keeping the field mowed. Been looking good.
See attached Treasurer's report.
Next meeting September 9th at 1:00pm

July Meeting 07/08/2017

Members in attendance:
    Gary Riddle
    Peter Oparnica
    Gene Maurice
   1. Minutes from last meeting are published and accepted.
   2. Treasures report- No new activity to report. Balance $3647.08
   3. Old Business
      a. Boys and girls club day- Tabled until there is more information.
      b. Clean Up Day - Peter commented that the current condition of the canopy was unacceptable and needed
    4. New Business
      a. Peter has been approached by 2 new prospective members. He has offered both people an invitation to visit the field.
      b. Georgia Model Aviators in Ball Ground has lost its field as of the end of 2017. +200 members will need a place to fly. Gene will reach out to the GMA clubs officers.
      c. Peter suggested adding another canopy or building to store mowers and other club property. Tabled until more information on what the costs will be.
      d. Peter suggested a clean up day next Saturday July 15th.
     Notes taken by: Terry Wallace


June Meeting 06/10/2017

Taildraggers R/C Club meeting

Members Present:
Harvey Burnes
Larry Luke
Ron Adams
Pete Oparnica
Garry Riddle

Pete led meeting.

Notes. Mower was fixed, no deck purchased at this timing.

Pete donated his MTD mower , so the club now has 2 running mowers.

Pete offered up an idea of holding an event for the Boys and Girls club. More discussion is needed to understand if we have enough club members who would show up to help volunteer and what the actual content of the event would be. If you have interest to support, please email Pete to let him know you would support and volunteer.

Also, more discussion is needed to consider a contract with Tru Green to keep the weeds out of the runway.

It was suggested the club have a clean-up day, a date needs to be determined.

Meeting was adjourned.
Current Balance: 3647.08 as presented by Pete
Monthly expenses 224.82
174.82 on mower work
Remainder on gas. Pete states now, there is currently at 55 credit at JoJo’s now if someone needs to get gas for mower.

Ron Adams, Secretary

May Meeting 05/13/2017

The Taildraggers R/C Club monthly meeting scheduled for Saturday, May 13, 2017, has been cancelled because a number of the club officers have other commitments. In lieu of the meeting I want to pass along the following information.
The additional sod we were planning on laying is not going to happen. Here’s Peter description of what transpired:

From: peter oparnica 111 []
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 8:42 AM
To: Gene Maurice; gary hammett; ADAMS Ron (Ron Adams)
Subject: new sod

In preparation for the new sod, the area to be covered was prepped and ready.
Approximately 4 days before it was to be delivered, Gary Hammett told me the water was turned off.
I drove back out to the field to test this, but at the same time I texted Dr. Atwell to see if he knew there was no water.
He informed me that they shut it off thinking there was a leak, and his electric bill was five times what it usually is.

I told him it was probably our fault for watering the new sod for 6 weeks.
Not thinking that to have the water on would require his giant pump to run continuously!
The pump brings water from the river, and no one thought about it costing anything.
In addition we were running a one horse pump to build up pressure.

I offered to pay for the electricity, but he would not give me an estimate.

He was out of town at the time, and said we should "hold up on the new sod".
I told him that I would cancel the order, and for him to call when he got back.
At that time I promised him no new sod.

I never heard back from him, but had an appointment with him yesterday.
He was in a very good mood, and I showed him a picture of my new plane and I, at the field the day before.
We joked, and got back to my patient problems, and nothing was mentioned about the incident.


Lay new sod if you wish, but there is no water.

After many meeting with him through the years, I have determined that he doesn't want anything in his life changed!
If you have any questions concerning this matter please direct them to Peter Oparnica. 
Here’s the Treasure’s Report for the month:

If you have any other questions please let me know.
Gene Maurice


April Meeting 04/08/2017

Meeting was called to order by President Gene Maurice at 1:30PM on April 8, 2017. There were 7 members present:
Gene Maurice
Larry Luke
Gary Liepold
Gavyn Liepold
Pete Oparnica
Gary Hammett
Gary Riddle

The minutes of the previous meeting as published on the club web site was accepted and approved.
Pete Oparnica presented the treasurers report as follows:

The balance in the club’s checking account is $4,943.33. The report was accepted and approved.
Old Business
At the last meeting there was a tentative schedule to lay the new sod on April 1st. This did not occur because of a delay in getting the ground prepared for the new sod, specifically killing off the weeds in the area where the sod is to be laid.
There has been no activity on the proposal to hold a Fun-Fly sometime in May to showcase the field and runway facilities.
Pete Oparnica and Harvey Burnes had volunteered to erect the club sign at the entrance to the field on Hardin Bridge Rd. This was completed on Sunday. Many thanks to Pete and Harvey.
The reel mower equipment was assembled on Saturday and put to use for the first time on Sunday with great success.
(After the meeting) Pete let me know that he and Gary Hammett are still reviewing options and cost of and automated power gate operator and will present a proposal when complete.
New Business
Because of the delay in laying the sod Gene Maurice presented a proposal to the Board to increase the funds authorized to pay contract labor to lay the sod from $500.00 to $850.00. The reason being that getting a commitment to help with this from the membership, with an unknown schedule, would be very difficult. The Board approved this proposal. A motion was made to get membership approval for this expenditure, it was seconded and approved. This will allow the sod to me laid without club volunteers.

There was a discussion concerning re-erecting the wind sock/streamer and ground level plane retention posts as had been in place at the old field. Gary Hammett stated that he would take this task on.

Peter stated that we needed to have any and all maintenance to the mower done as soon as possible for the season. This included new air filter, blades, belts, etc. Harvey and Peter stated that they though this could be accomplished for around $100.00. Harvey agreed to pick up the mower with his trailer and get this work done next week.

Peter proposed creating a club position of “Field Manager” and we are looking for a volunteer to fill this position. Per Peter the job description is:
Person who is in charge of seeing that all field maintenance and repairs are cared for. He may appoint people to do these things, but in the end is responsible for all getting done;
Painting, Installing, Cutting, Trimming, Assembling, Mower Repairs, and maintenance
Gene made a suggestion that we look into moving the “green” shed and the Port-a-John closer to the pit area. Peter said he would bring this matter up with the property owner  the next time he sees him.   
The Meeting was adjourned at 2:00PM
Gene Maurice

Taildraggers R/C Club Meeting Minutes March 11, 2017

Members Attending:
Gary Riddle, Peter Oparnica, Gene Maurice, Ron Adams, Zack Stephney, Mark Hopkins

Meeting was called to order. The first order of new business was to accept the minutes from the previous meeting. Accepted.

It was noted that an anonymous gift was made to the club, a member donated a pull behind reel mower to help cut the newly laid sod.

Also, Kenny Freeman donated extra $50 to club funds.

Peter reported that the club sign being installed at the road entrance was still a work in progress.

Gene reported that 9 members had replied to the club election, and the result were all in favor of option 1.

2017 Club Officers are:
Gene Maurice- President
Gary Hammett- Vice President
Ron Adams - Secretary
Peter Oparnica- Treasurer
Larry Luke- Field Safety Officer

Club membership was to be paid by March 15th. Please get your membership paid if you had not done so by last week.

Additional sod work:
As per funds donated there were designated to additional sod. April 1st will be the target date to lay sod. Peter is in charge purchase of sod and delivery to the field. Since an additional $1000 was donated specifically for additional purchase of sod, it was decided by attending members to spend $500 in club funds to support the labor to lay sod. So  Peter may use $500 in club funds to support the laying of the sod.We asked for volunteers previously and only 4 people showed up. So if possible we would like to get all club members to help lay SOD on April Saturday April 1st in additional to using club funds for labor to support. We would like every member to see what we are trying to do to make the field better. The runway will be extended to the entrance road additional SOD left over will be used to widen the runway. We will also need volunteers to support coming out and turning on the water to water the SOD until it takes hold.

Peter was to research about getting the Port-a-John cleaned and ready for the upcoming season. Update at next meeting.

Ron Adams suggested to hold a fun-fly event later in May, possibly June to support getting people in the community aware of the field and attracting new members. If you have interest in supporting this, please contact me.

In closing the club needs members to help with the following items:

  1. Come out to the field April 1st support the laying of SOD, see what is happening.
  2. Volunteers to come out and turn on the sprinklers.
  3. General membership drive to get the community aware- support of fun-fly event.

You may contact Gene, Peter, or myself via email to support any of these items.

Ron -

Next Club meeting will be Saturday, April 8th at 1:00 pm

Club Financial Report thru Feb. 28, 2017

Financial Statement


February Meeting 02/11/2017

Meeting was called to order by President Gene Maurice at 1:20PM on February 11, 2017. There were 8 members present:
Gene Maurice
Larry Luke
Ron Adams
Terry Wallace
Harvey Burnes
Gary Liepold
Gavyn Liepold
Pete Oparnica

The minutes of the previous meeting as emailed to the membership was accepted and approved.

Pete Oparnica presented the treasurers report as follows:
Feb Treas Rpt
The balance in the club’s checking account is $3243.33. The report was accepted and approved.

Old Business
Gene Maurice reported that the club’s web site has been moved to be the active web space. Work is still progressing on the Photo Album component of the web site.

Pete Oparnica and Harvey Burnes had volunteered to erect the club sign at the entrance to the field on Hardin Bridge Rd. Due to weather and other commitments this has not been completed. They expect to have it done in a couple of weeks.

Ron Adams has produced a flyer advertising the club and posted it at the HobbyTown in Kennesaw. This should generate some interest to folks that are just starting in RC.

Ron Adams presented his personal donation of $1000.00 to cover the cost of installing additional sod equal to what has already been laid. This means the current strip will be extended to the west up to the road, widened by a few feet and whatever grass remains will be used to lengthen the runway to the east. Again, a huge thanks to Ron Adams for his generosity and dedication to the club. Every time you take off and land think of Ron!!!

The investigation into the purchase of reel type mower equipment is in progress. Pete Oparnica, Mike Bond, Harvey Burnes, and Gary Hammett are researching alternatives. Ron Adams presented a reasonable priced self-propelled option that will be thrown into the mix of options. Gene Maurice requested that in addition to the reel mower option, we include a cost estimate to do the maintenance require to the current tractor to make certain that it can remain operable for the coming year. This proposal will be presented to the board and then upon approval to the membership.

New Business
The floor was opened to the membership to accept nominations for officers for the new club year. The following nominations were motioned, seconded, and approved by the members:
Gene Maurice, President
Gary Hammett, Vice-President
Ron Adams, Secretary
Pete Oparnica, Treasurer
Larry Luke, Field Safety Officer

Ron Adams suggested changing the combination on the lock at the entrance gate and only issue that new combination to current members as a security measure. It was noted that the lock and combination were installed by the property owner and utilized by people other than club members to access the property. Pete stated that he has talked with the property owner about installing a solar powered automated gate opener with keypad access. Pete will investigate this and present a proposal to the Board and Membership.
The Meeting was adjourned at 2:00PM
Gene Maurice

January Meeting 01/14/2017

Meeting was called to order by President Gene Maurice at 1:15PM on January 14, 2017. There were 10 members present:
Gene Maurice
Larry Luke
Rom Adams
Terry Wallace
Harvey Burnes
Garry Riddle
Gary Liepold
Gavyn Liepold
Pete Oparnica
Mike Bond

The minutes of the previous meeting as emailed to the membership were acceptance and approved.
Pete Oparnica presented the treasurers report which show no deposit or withdrawal transaction during the preceding month. The balance in the club’s checking account is $3193.33. The report was accepted and approved.

Gene Maurice reported that the club’s web site has been rewritten and is ready to be published to replace the existing site. Right now, the new site is accessible by clicking a link on the main page of the current home page. When the publishing process is complete there will be a reference to the old data and it will be retained as long as folks are accessing it.

Pete Oparnica suggested that the club signage that was at the entrance to the old field be erected at the entrance of the new field. Pete Oparnica and Harvey Burnes volunteered to complete this task. Pete also proposed that we produce a flyer that can be placed the local hobby shop to promote the club. Ron Adams volunteered to take on this task.

Ron Adams has graciously offered to donate an amount to cover the cost of installing additional sod equal top what has already been laid. This means the current strip will be extended to the west up to the road, widened by a few feet and whatever grass remains will be used to lengthen the runway to the east. A huge thanks to Ron Adams for his generosity and dedication to the club.

Pete Oparnica and Mike Bond discuss that the very thin bladed nature of the sod that is being utilized on the runway is best maintained with a reel type mower. They have volunteered to investigate the availability of towable equipment that could be used behind the existing mower, They will prepare a proposal to be presented to the board and then to the membership upon board review.

The Meeting was adjourned at 1:50PM

I would like to welcome two new members, Terry Wallace and Harvey Burnes who joined prior to the meeting and are welcome additions to the club roster.

Also, the weather on Saturday was BEAUTIFUL and almost everyone present had an opportunity to fly. It was the best turnout of fliers I’ve seen in a long time. I certainly hope that this an indicator of the participation we will see as the year goes on. Thanks to everyone for coming out.

Gene Maurice

December Meeting 12/10/2016

The Taildraggers R/C Club monthly meeting scheduled for this coming Saturday, December 10, 2016 has been cancelled due to inclement weather. The forecasted low Friday night / Saturday morning was 24 degrees with the high Saturday of only 45. Though we are all brave souls, that’s a bit chilly, even for this former Yankee.

The “Target Strip” of newly sodded runway is coming along nicely. Many, many thanks to Pete Oparnica and the Gary’s, Hammett and Riddle for the care and watering of the newly laid sod until the recent much needed rain. The grass is pretty dormant of now and should be good until warmer weather in the spring.

Per Pete, the only Treasury activity in the past month is a deposit of $100 for 2017 dues received from Gary Riddle. The current bank balance is $3,193.33. Any question regarding this should be directed to Pete Oparnica.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Have a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Gene Maurice

November Meeting 11/12/2016

Eight members were in attendance, and one member came late, but was still a part of the meeting.

Members present were:
Zack Stephany
Gary Hammett
Mike Bond
Gary Riddle
Gavyn Liepold
Peter Oparnica
Ron Adams
Gary Liepold

Our President Gene Maurice was out of town, so the meeting was conducted by Our treasurer, Peter Oparnica.

The Treasury was announced at being $3162.80.
The indebtedness, or outstanding bills will be less than $100.

Gary Riddle paid his 2017 dues today, so that income will be up $100 as of this time. 

Today's topic was "Unity" A small speech was given by Peter Oparnica, apologizing for some squabbles from earlier in the year.
Peter called for unity, and forgiveness, so that we may get back to what we are:
A brotherhood of model airplane fliers!

I would have to say that everyone was extremely pleased with the progress on the runway project.
Looking great would be an understatement.

The "target strip" which is what we now call the center of the graded area is fantastic

There  is a problem with getting water pressure to sprinkle the entire runway, so we are going to wait for spring to proceed further
Gary, and I installed a pump to increase water pressure, and it seems to be working well for now on the "Target Strip"
At this point we will concentrate on the "target Strip", and will finish up next spring.

Incidentally this sod is very thin blade, and will be cut to 1/2 inch height!

Ron Adams was so impressed with what we have done so far, he will be ready to donate more for the runway again next spring.
Looks like the "Target Strip is getting bigger!
GO RON!!!!!

We will have the only grass runway that I know of, that will be good to go for extremely small electrics, to mammoth scale!

We are still looking for volunteers to go to the field one day a week, and water the grass, for six weeks.
Gary Riddle, and Gary Hammett have each volunteered one day each week.
If you would like to volunteer to babysit the grass once a week for six weeks call, and let me know.
Peter 770634 5787

Gavyn Liepold has volunteered to build a "house" for our new sprinkler pump.

We need volunteers to re-erect our sign.
We also need a computer guru to start us a new web site, as I can't seem to get a hold of Ken Wright, our presently absent guru.

This was a great meeting with truly dedicated modelers, and I hope it continues to grow.
Remember, these people came out, and we couldn't even fly because of the wind!

Lets see everybody next month!

Peter Oparnica  Treasurer

October Meeting 10/8/2016

The meeting scheduled for this Saturday has been cancelled because two of the officers are not available due to other personal commitments. If any member has a pressing issue they would like to raise please reply to me directly and I will make sure that it gets addressed.

Gene Maurice

September Meeting 09/10/2016

Club meeting was called to order by Vice President Gene Maurice at 1:10PM September 10, 2016 at the Taildraggers Club field in Euharlee, GA. Six members were present:
Gene Maurice
Ron Adams
Garry Hammett
Pete Oparnica
Larry Luke
Gary Riddle

Javier Ramirez has resigned as President of the Club. The remaining board members appointed Gene Maurice as President for the remainder of the term. Gary Hammett accepted the request to fill the Vice President position for the remainder of the term. The Board is still trying to fill the Secretary position 
The treasurer, Pete Oparnica, submitted the Club’s bank statements for review. The following is a summary of the activity from the opening of the new account thru August 31:
If there are any questions concerning the Treasurer’s report please contact Pete.

With the absence of a quorum, “not less than one third Members in Good Standing”, no old or new business was conducted.
The Board has decided to terminate the lawn cutting service for now because the drain on the Club’s cash by end of the grass growing season would be substantial. We are going to try to utilize the existing mower, after some repairs by Pete, for the remainder of the year. Pete and Gary will initially cut the field as often as needed. The grass will be mowed as low as the mower will allow. Ron Adams has brought out his personal push mower to cut as short as possible an area long enough to get his race plane off the ground. This seemed to work out very well and may be a viable solution for those flying small, light planes. We need some volunteers to help with this effort going forward.

It was discussed that early next year, after annual dues have been collected,  the financial situation should allow us to purchase a new mower.

The discussion then moved on to what could be done to improve the overall quality of the runway going forward. There were many ideas presented. It was concluded that the next steps should be to get some estimates for smoothing and re-seeding of the landing strip. Any member who knows someone in the commercial landscaping business should contact a board member.
The final discussion was on how to get better participation at the field and at meetings. Gary agreed to present a proposal to host some event at the field in hopes of drawing folks out.

I would like to ask everyone receiving these minutes, members and former members, to respond to me personally with a brief statement of why you are not using the field. If you are using it, let me know what you think we can do to draw folks out. All responses will be kept confidential.

The meeting was adjourned at 2:20PM.

Gene Maurice, President